Don't throw away the flesh from your pumpkin...use it to make something delicious instead. This recipe for Spiced Pumpkin Loaf is one of our absolute favourites, and is made year-in year-out by editor, Amy.
Makes one loaf
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 125g plain flour
- 210g pumpkin flesh, pureed
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- Half a teaspoon of allspice
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Half a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 85g softened unsalted butter
- 200g of sugar
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3 or 165 degrees celcius.
- Grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf tin with butter, or line with greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and spices.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until blended. Now add the egg.
- Beat the mixture until light and fluffy, before mixing in the pumpkin.
- Using an electric whisk if possible, combine the two mixtures.
- Pour your mixture into your loaf tin and bake for approximately one hour, or until a skewer inserter through the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for ten minutes, before turning out on to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Serve and enjoy.
TIP: You may like to try adding pecans to the mixture for a crunchy take on this delicious loaf.